Saturday, May 21, 2011

HAFA ADAI

I guess the big news is we all survived the rapture (we're not worthy.....we're not worthy......we're not worthy)  I'm glad because I have waited so long to get back to Saipan I would have been really bummed to leave it so soon.

I got in a sad mood the other day listening to Audra's friend talk about her childhood and growing up in the Philippines.  She's 50 and teaches school here on the island.  Her husband lives and works in Korea so she's here by herself, no kids.  Her family was dirt poor while she was growing up and ever since she can remember she was picking fruits of various kind and using them to barter with to get food and supplies to keep her family going.  She said she never really got to just play but was always busy trying to figure out where she could get stuff for her family.  When she grew up she worked picking coffee beans on her grandfather's property to earn money to get through college which she did.  

My family was not wealthy by no means and probably lower middle class but we never went without anything and didn't have to do much to get what we wanted.  My brother had a paper route that I had to help him out with but that was about it as far as earning money went.  We were never expected to go out and help keep our family going.  We went on fabulous vacations every summer in our little trailer across the US too.

Audra said many of the people on this little island are in that situation and she hears about it from her kids every day at school.  It is sad but I remind her of the good thing she is doing by coming her to be their teacher and try to help them along.

The economic woes have really hit hard here.  The local government appears to be in a mess like the Federal government is and there is lots of finger pointing going around.  It's alot like being back on the mainland in that respect.  
                                                             Suicide Cliff on North Side of Siapan


One of the big issues now is putting up power poles on the North side of the island which is considered to be sacred and has been left undeveloped since most of the fighting and death during WWII happened in that area.  There are all         kinds of memorials there honoring the Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, and Americans who died there.  Now the farmers in that area (it is agricultural land too) have decided they want electricity so the power poles are going to start going up.  The people who want to keep that part of the island untouched are trying to stop it because it will spoil the scenery which is beautiful and also they are afraid once the flood gates are open it will start being developed with houses and resorts.  That would truly be a pity if that happened.  

Anyway, what I'm getting at is there is not electricity everywhere on this island.  Parts of the main road Audra lives on doesn't have access to electricity which amazes me!  How can that be in this day and age?  Audra said some of the homes around the island do not even have running water.

Friday night I attended Audra's bible study class.  The church is one that was started by a man in China years ago and is Christian based.  Steve and I were kind of leary about it thinking it might be a cult type thing so I was curious to go and see what it was like.  We were so wrong!  The group is Korean and a teacher Audra works with is the one who got her going to it.  The people range in age from their 20's into their 80's.  There is one white guy in the group who is around my age and has been on the island for 31 years.  It seems to be a lot like Jehovah Witness too where the church is plain and unadorned.   They treated me like I was royalty and were very happy to meet me.  They had a Korean pot-luck dinner that was so good and then we sang songs over and over again and read them in English then Korean over and over (maybe I'll learn some Korean if I keep going).  All in all it was a fun night and I'm happy to know they are taking care of Audra.


I finally got to eat my favorite fruit here that you cannot find around where I live in Chandler.......Sour Sop.  It's a tropical fruit and is delicious!  I checked at Lee Lees in Chandler and they don't have it:(  It is super good but you can't eat the black seeds or the skin.....both are poisonous.  


Tonight I'm making sour cream cheese enchiladas for Audra.  She's been bugging me to make them for her so her wish is my command:)  We were supposed to go out for Korean food tonight (Audra's new favorite food) but the dinner was cancelled.


Hope you are all enjoying yourselves and now living each day like it's your last since we dodged the May 21st bullet:)

1 comment:

  1. Note to Steve: Check Pat's luggage for Sour Sop seeds and skin when she gets home. Well no wonder the don't sell it here if it's part poisonous! I guess it would cut down on divorces - no need!

    Hope you are enjoying yourself Pat! See ya in the fall. Jim

    ReplyDelete